2011 Baby Count

February 16 - one ram lamb to Dorothy
February 13 - one ewe lamb, one ram lamb to Emma
January 29 - twin ewe lambs, to Mabel
January 5 - one ewe lamb, Flora, (bottle fed) to Cathy Gale


Sunday, January 9, 2011

Flora the Fauna

It took her a couple of days to get the hang of the bottle, but Flora is doing well. In fact, by today or certainly by tomorrow, she will figure out that she can jump out of the box where she has been living since last Wednesday. I'll have to figure something out, because it's below freezing and I don't want to put her in the barn yet. There's no electricity in the barn, so there's no heat source. Currently she sleeps on top of a heating pad and under a heat lamp.
No more lambs yet, but I haven't checked this morning. Later on today the sheep and their donkeys will (hopefully) move up to a paddock around the barn. They'll be closer to the house and will have good shelter in the barn and to kidding pens where I can put new mothers and babies if the weather gets nasty. I'm remembering the 2009Ice Storm that hit at the end of January, when I did have Maizie the goat in the barn with her week-old twins Phoebe and Moses. Once I get the sheep up to the barn, as far as I'm concerned, we can have a mild, wet, muddy winter.

No comments:

Post a Comment