2011 Baby Count

February 16 - one ram lamb to Dorothy
February 13 - one ewe lamb, one ram lamb to Emma
January 29 - twin ewe lambs, to Mabel
January 5 - one ewe lamb, Flora, (bottle fed) to Cathy Gale


Saturday, January 1, 2011

Welcome to 2011!

Okay - it's resolution time: this year I resolve to embrace change with less fear, and I resolve to resume writing here to keep my friends and family better updated on our farm life.
The second half of 2010 was filled with working on our house. We're down to electricity, insulation and wall board. There's a few other small things, like some finish plumbing and temporary permanent flooring, that will also need to be done around the time we move in. The toilets are in, as well as the wood-burning stove. I am reminded of where we were at New Year's Day 2010 - not knowing that we faced shoveling snow out of our living room three times (once over 7 inches) before winter gave up.
As long as the weather stays nice, early this afternoon I will check on my bees and give each hive a candy board to give them a food boost for the winter. A candy board is exactly what it sounds like and give my hives extra food just in case they run out of honey before spring.
My primary task for today - which is a beautiful day, so far - is fencing for my male animals. A lot of my animals are free-range right now, and I need to get that under a modicum of control. After the boys, I'll finish the sheep fencing I started a couple of weeks ago, then the female goats and finally the chickens. Not all today, but tops on the "To Do List".

No comments:

Post a Comment